A friend of mine practices "elimination communication" with her daughter. I have always been intrigued by the idea, but was turned off by the thought of a bare bottomed baby going to the bathroom all over the house.
However, now that Finn is eating solid foods, I'll pretty much do anything to get out of changing a poopy diaper! So yesterday, when I could tell he needed to go, I took him to the bathroom and held him over the toilet. And guess what?? He went!!! I was so excited that my first thought was to grab the camera so I would have proof. I quickly realized that nobody would be THAT interested in the proof. :) Since then, every time I think he needs to go, I take him in and hold him over the toilet and make a "psssss" sound. And it works! I am still amazed! There have been a few times when I hold him there and nothing happens- but hey we're still learning. And I have still changed a few diapers. (I can't catch them all...yet!)
I think we are going to keep trying it. He will still be wearing a diaper but if we can get to the toilet we will.
There are many names for this practice, elimination communication, natural infant hygeine, infant potty training etc. The practice is common in Asia, Africa, areas of South America and some Native America cultures. Since most cultures do not have diapers, mother's have employed these techniques for ages. So with diapers so easily accesible, why in the heck would I want to try it out? Here are my reasons so far:
1. I hate changing diapers. The element of suspense, wondering what you'll find when you open it up- it just kills me.
2. It supports both of my goals of being more green and more frugal. If Finn goes in the toilet, he'll use less diapers!
3. I want Finn to have a healthy view of the toilet from a young age, Because I will not be helping him wipe his behind any longer than necessary.
Here are some links:
http://www.natural-wisdom.com/faq.htm
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5-diap/42-natural-infant-hygiene.htm
http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/elimination-communication.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow Ang, you're just an awesome mom! You always amaze me. Finn is so cute, pretty soon he'll be crawling to the potty every time he has to "go"! Wouldn't that be awesome!
a great way to save on diapers (and changing them)
I like your two goals. It was interesting to read about that technique--maybe I'll give it a try, if I ever stop being lazy!
Post a Comment