Thursday, January 22, 2009

First Tantrum, the zoo and a laugh that make my heart melt!

Finn had his first big tantrum. Since learning to walk he has started to throw them, but yesterday was a biggie. It all started very innocently, we had about 20 minutes to kill before leaving the house to head to work. So, I spread a big towel on the kitchen floor and got out the bubbles. We hadn't played with the bubbles in awhile, so I had forgotten how much Finn loves them. We had a great time and he even figured out how to blow them himself. When it was time to go, I closed the bubbles and picked him up to wash his hands. HE FREAKED OUT. Back arching, head swinging, screeching as loud as he could, FREAKED. Since he was in my arms, I decided to set him down on the ground so that he didn't fall. He immediately got up and went to where the bubbles were on the counter, he pointed, grunted and then signed more. I said "No, Finn we are all done with the bubbles." Again, with the back arching, screeching, the whole nine yards. At this point, I made a huge mistake. I reached for the bubbles and handed them to Finn. I told him he could play with the bottle but we weren't going to blow anymore. He wasn't having that and THREW the bubbles at my head. I told him "No, do not throw," and I scooped him up and we went outside. The fresh air seemed to do him good and he calmed down right away. Phew. That was not fun. I think I have some things to learn about negotiating with a toddler. Or not negotiating. However, that works.

In other news, we went to the Zoo today. It was Finn's third visit. We have a membership, which has been great. He doesn't care so much about the animals, but LOVES the indoor play area. We met my cousin and her 8 month old, my mom and aunt. None of them liked huge snake that was being shown off during toddler time. I'll post some pictures on Finn's photo site: http://finnthomas.shutterfly.com/

Since I started this post with a negative, I'll end with a positive. Finn has the best laugh. It is just completely infectious. Anyone who hears it can't help but smile. And he laughs, a lot. I love it. It reminds me to laugh and smile often.

No comments: